Volunteer Engagement Assistant
Manager of Volunteer Engagement
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food, shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, responsive and committed individual to work closely with the Manager of Volunteer Engagement to encourage, welcome and manage Volunteers throughout Lazarus House Ministries. Candidates must have strong attention to detail, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a heart for serving people struggling with poverty. The main criteria for employment are work experience and a proven skill set in simultaneously managing a wide array of projects, but an associates or college degree in related field is useful.
Position Description – Duties include but are not limited to:
- Greet all guests, volunteers and donors with warmth, compassion, gratitude.
- Provide a wide range of administrative support.
- Learn and become highly proficient with the volunteer online system, Volunteer Hub.
- Ensure clear and concise communication with volunteers.
- Participate in volunteer orientations and trainings.
- Attend and coordinate volunteers for LHM special events.
- Work closely with Program Coordinators to understand and identify potential volunteer opportunities.
- Interact with the various departments of LHM including Communications, Development, Special Events, Grant Management and all program areas.
- Help establish/maintain close working relationships with area schools and faith organizations to expand and steward the volunteer base.
- With the Manager, be responsible for coordinating, training, executing and delegating activities of Project Bethlehem
- A strong commitment to mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Volunteer engagement and/or customer service experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work as part of a fast-paced, collaborative team.
- Excellent organizational, planning and communication skills.
- Willing and able to work weekends and evenings as required.
- Bilingual Spanish speaking a plus.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate equipment pertinent to your position.
- Lifting, moving, and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Travel from building to building within the ministry.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have a mental illness or other challenges.
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors, and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities.
- Able to manage the stress of the job.