Position Title: Residential Counselor I, Relief / On Call Support
Reports To: Coordinator of Single Women Transitional Housing Program Position
Summary: Duties include but are not limited to:
This position is responsible to provide support to guests in a Ministry based approach, and to ensure the atmosphere of the transitional housing is safe, stable and structured. Staff maintains a supportive, consistent environment provides an atmosphere of dignity, respect and safety for all who enter the transitional housing.
- This position is an On Call Relief position to support special needs situations and absences of scheduled regular staff
- Interact with guests in a respectful manner, adding and restoring dignity to their lives, with a tone and understanding that we are serving our guests.
- Prioritize meeting guest needs with getting tasks done and managing volunteers in a busy working environment.
- Support guests; monitor, assess behavior and overall well-being
- Maintain regular security checks throughout the shift; lock all doors, shut off alarms at designated times.
- Wake guests up at the designated time.
- Make sure guests follow through with assigned chores.
- Ensure morning medications are handed to guests then locked up securely after use.
- Work with guests to achieve goals and life skills. Assist with life and problem solving skills and support.
- Understand the systemic issues that affect low income single homeless females.
- Observe and assess agitation levels to proactively defuse potentially aggressive situations. Effectively de-escalate, diffuse, and monitor overall shelter environment for safety.
- Regularly inventory and notify Coordinator when food, cleaning and maintenance supplies are low.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team liaising with staff, and supervisors to promote a supportive, respectful environment.
- Contribute to the overall cleanliness and upkeep of the house including common areas like the parlor, dinning, hallways and kitchen.
- Complete shift assignments as requested.
- Assist in meal preparation and laundry.
- With Staff team identify potential challenges and provide input for solutions to Coordinator and other Staff members.
- Use communication tools effectively including documentation and shift change to bring forward issues and occurrences that take place while on shift.