Project Bethlehem Coordinator
Director of Operations
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food, shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
Project Bethlehem (PB) is Lazarus House’s donor driven Christmas Giving program. PB matches donor families to families in need who are referred through the Lawrence Public Schools and local agencies. Donors provide families gifts that meet their specific wishes within the guidelines set by the Ministry. The PB Coordinator manages the program and provides direction to paid staff and volunteers who are responsible for specific areas. This position, once fully trained is full time Oct-Dec and part time (5-15 hours/week) July, August and January.
Position Description – Duties include but are not limited to:
- As the face of LHM, greet all guests, volunteers and donors with warmth, compassion, gratitude and Christmas Spirit.
- Manage the overall Project Bethlehem timeline, ensuring activities happen in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate team meetings throughout the project and reporting of results.
- Responsible for Project Bethlehem database
- Maintain and update all project documentation.
- Project Bethlehem location late November – January
- Location requirements
- Secure location
- Setup and breakdown
- Train and orient a backup person(s) who can function in the PB Coordinator’s absence.
- With Communications, update the website and coordinate outreach as needed.
Referral Source Management
- Interface with local agencies and Lawrence Public elementary and middle schools to train on current referral process with the goal of 90% of referrals received by mid-November.
- Communicate to Development new and returning donors for stewardship opportunities and to Communications for video/photo opportunities.
- Match recipients and donors, managing large donor requests and corporate/organization requests in a timely fashion.
- Balance need for recruiting new donors with the volume of recipient referrals to ensure all recipient families are matched.
- Thank donors through a Christmas Eve thank you email; work with Communications and Development to create a thank you card and tax statement to be mailed by mid-end January.
- Coordinate with IT consultant to set up internet access, work stations with database access, printing capacity and working phones.
- Oversee the planning and set up of the reception and gift receiving areas.
- Manage processes for tracking gifts received and contacting families for pickup.
- Provide volunteer job descriptions and shift schedules to the Coordinator of Volunteers to ensure staffing needs are met.
- With PB staff, manage and train volunteers to ensure consistency of service to donors and families through the gift receipt and distribution processes and other jobs as needed.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries and how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions throughout the Ministry.
- Willing and able to work weekends in December, Saturdays as needed in November.
- Well organized and able to manage multiple tasks, details and moving parts.
- Technology versed, able to work with databases and project management software, outlook and shared drives.
- Relationship driven ability to steward donors, develop referral source relationships and bring compassion for the families served by PB.
- Team leader and team player with experience managing, training, working with and organizing diverse staff and volunteers. Ability to delegate and follow up tasks with clarity
- Bilingual, English-Spanish a plus.
- Proven leadership under stressful conditions.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate equipment pertinent to your position.
- Lifting, moving, and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Travel from building to building within the ministry and external agencies.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have a mental illness or other challenges.
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors, and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities
- Able to manage the stress of the job
- This position requires the individual to offer physical stability and support to the guests of the Ministry.