On Call Shelter Support Staff
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food, shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
This position is responsible to provide support to guests in a Ministry based approach, and to ensure the
atmosphere of the emergency shelter is safe, stable and structured. Staff maintains a supportive, consistent environment provides an atmosphere of dignity, respect and safety for all who enter the emergency shelter.
- This position is an On Call Relief position to support special needs situations and absences of
scheduled regular staff.
- Interact with guests in a respectful manner, adding and restoring dignity to their lives, with a tone and understanding that we are serving our guests.
- Prioritize meeting guest needs with getting tasks done and managing volunteers in a busy working
- Support guests; monitor, assess behavior and overall well-being.
- Maintain regular security checks throughout the shift; lock all doors, shut off alarms at designated
- Wake guests up at the designated time.
- Make sure guests follow through with assigned chores.
- Ensure medications are handed to guests then locked up securely after use.
- Work with guests to achieve goals and life skills. Assist with life and problem solving skills and
- Understand the systemic issues that affect low income homeless individuals and families.
- Observe and assess agitation levels to proactively defuse potentially aggressive situations.
- Effectively de-escalate, diffuse, and monitor overall shelter environment for safety.
- Regularly inventory and notify Coordinator when food, cleaning and maintenance supplies are low.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary team liaising with staff, and supervisors to promote a supportive,
- Contribute to the overall cleanliness and upkeep of the house including common areas like the parlor, dining, hallways and kitchen.
- Complete shift assignments as requested.
- Assist in meal preparation and laundry.
- With Staff team identify potential challenges and provide input for solutions to Coordinator and other Staff members.
- Use communication tools effectively including documentation and shift change to bring forward
issues and occurrences that take place while on shift.
- Perform other position related duties as required.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions
throughout the Ministry.
- Requires a Direct Support Certificate, Community Support Human Service Practitioner Certificate or Alcohol/Drug Abuse Counseling Certificate or Certified Nursing Assistance. Preferred Associate
Degree in Human Service or Human Services related field.
- Prior experiences working with families and individuals who are at risk, homeless, have addictions
and mental illness
- Ability to read, understand and adhere to the Lazarus House’s policies and procedures
- Capable of being certified in ServSafe and other required certification training.
- Ability to multi task.
- Ability to cook and prepare/serve a meal to the guests
- Ability to manage oneself in a crisis and under adverse conditions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, respecting the guests’ dignity and privacy
- Ability to communicate with guests in a constructive manner
- Strong verbal, written and organizational skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office/Excel and filing systems; capability to maintain accurate records
- Bi-lingual capabilities (English – Spanish) strongly preferred
- Experience working with volunteers
- Will complete all mandatory training within a year of hire. This includes CPR/ First Aid and in-house training.
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers, volunteers and the general community
- In addition to demands listed below, have the physical mobility necessary to maneuver the stairs in
the house required to provide adequate supervision of residents in the facility.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical
requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at
Lazarus House, Inc. Additional requirements may arise as your employment and needs of the
Ministry evolve. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and/or standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate equipment pertinent to your
area- office, kitchen, warehouse, cleaning, etc.
- Lifting, moving and carrying up to 50 pounds occasionally (This may be 75 pounds or more
when employee’s responsibilities include moving furniture and other such items).
- Travel from building to building within the Ministry and/or to external agencies.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with or be exposed to diverse populations,
including people who are homeless or have mental illness or other challenges
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities
- Able to manage the stress of the job.
Send resume and cover letter in English to:
Manager, Human Resources
Lazarus House Ministries