Food Pantry Staff
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food, shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
Responsible for assisting the Food Coordinator, Assistant Coordinator and working with/leading volunteers to ensure the day to day operations of the Food pantry are running smoothly and are in alignment with the Mission of Lazarus House.
- Drive Lazarus House truck/vehicle and/or assist while performing pick-up/delivery of all food
donations from all donating agencies and business sources as required.
- Represent the face and mission of Lazarus House professionally and with dignity and respect in all
interactions with the public and internally.
- Sort, organize and rotate stock to ensure freshness, quality and minimize waste. Properly label all
food items and refrigerate or freeze as appropriate. Maintain neat and orderly organization and
appearance in the food pantry. Properly dispose of spoiled food.
- Work with and direct volunteers to make food orders.
- Familiarize all volunteers on the proper operation of equipment, including conveyor belt, walk-in
- Follow proper health and cleaning procedures to maintain a clean and healthy environment,
directing, training and assisting volunteers in this process.
- Deliver food to the Soup Kitchen, Shelter, and Ishah House cooks as necessary.
- Attend meetings as required
- Fulfill other position related duties as required.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions
throughout the Ministry.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Good driving record
- Strong verbal communication; bi-lingual capabilities (English – Spanish) a plus
- Knowledge or experience in food services industry; handling and storage of food
- Ability to work with large crowds and maintain an orderly, respectful environment
- Strong desire to contribute to the success of Lazarus House mission
- Occasional overtime available (seasonal holidays and weekends)
- DOT Health certificate to enable driving our mid size truck box truck, or willingness and ability to
obtain such certification
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements,
demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc.
Additional requirements may arise as your employment and needs of the Ministry evolve. You must be
able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Requires extended time driving and/or as a passenger in trucks
- Ability to tolerate working in the walk-in refrigerator and freezer
- Ability to regularly lift and move various boxes, food items, etc., up to 75 LBS in weight
- Prolonged sitting and/or standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate equipment pertinent to your area, office, kitchen, warehouse, cleaning, etc.
- Travel from building to building within the Ministry and/or to external agencies.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with or be exposed to diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have mental illness or other challenges
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities
- Able to manage the stress of the job.
Send resume and cover letter in English to:
Lazarus House Ministries