Position Title: Executive Director
Reports To: Lazarus House Board of Directors
Lazarus House Ministries, Inc. (LH) is a Gospel-based ministry and welcomes all in the name of God. The organization provides a continuum of care encompassing, but not limited to: food, shelter, clothing, advocacy, education, work preparation, a listening ear, a welcoming heart and the restoration of dignity and self-respect to people who are poor and in dire need. Lazarus House is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization filled with caring staff whose compassion and support give strength, healing and hope to everyone who come through its doors in need of help.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) provides inspiration, direction and leadership for the mission and vision of Lazarus House (LH), a Gospel-based non-profit organization with a $5-$10 million budget funded almost exclusively through private donations. The ED provides direction and leadership for LH’s Gospel-based mission and vision, represents and speaks for the organization and its work, and directs the leadership team in the advancement of LH’s strategic vision. The ED is responsible for development and maintenance of effective and sustainable programs, management of personnel, sound fiscal management, and furthering the organization’s strategic goals under the direction of the Board of Directors.
- The ED, as the prime steward of LH Ministry’s core values and core mission is responsible to lead with heart and passion and within the alignment of Ministry policies, procedures and activities with the core mission and founding Gospel base.
- The ED works closely with the Board and Chief Operating Officer (COO) in creating and maintaining operational and financial goals, ensuring that the annual operating plan conforms to a vibrant strategic plan.
- With the COO and management team, the ED shapes and nurtures the culture of the Ministry to ensure that the Gospel-inspired mission and values underpin daily interactions and decisions.
Advocacy, Program Creation and Implementation
- Along with the COO, the ED maintains excellence in existing programs and services while identifying and overseeing opportunities for improvement.
- The ED works with the COO and project leaders to develop comprehensive plans to execute new programs including budgets, capital expenditures, program parameters and staffing needs to present to the Board of Directors for review and approval.
Regulatory and Financial Oversight
- The ED keeps abreast of national and local donor giving trends as well as local giving trends to LH. The ED utilizes this information to make informed spending and planning decisions for the foundation and programs of LH.
- The ED reviews, monitors and approves budgets and expenditures according to established policies and procedures and for submission for Board approval, if needed.
Development and Public Relations
- The ED is the public face of the LH Ministry presenting the Ministry with integrity, honesty and transparency.
- Working with the Board, the Board’s Development Committee, the Director of Development and the Development Team, the ED establishes and implements a program to engage in the solicitation of large donors/prospects along with the cultivation, maintenance and stewardship of a portfolio of benefactors including individuals, corporations/businesses, organizations, and foundations.
- The ED works with the Development Team and PR to ensure the Ministry’s brand and reputation remain well respected as one of the most well run and impactful social organizations in the Merrimack Valley.
Board Relations and Support
- The ED works openly and collaboratively with the Board of Directors, a dedicated volunteer group that come from diverse backgrounds to make decisions mindfully on the Gospel-based core mission and values.
- The ED maintains active communication and participation with Board members and provides regular financial, operational and strategic updates at Board meetings and at other intervals as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience as an Executive Director or in a Senior leadership position leading and operating a multi-million dollar non-profit or social enterprise organization (Gospel-based is a plus).
- Proven success engaging staff, Board members, donors and volunteers in active participation in the Ministry and as stewards of the mission.
- BA/BS required; Master’s Degree preferred and/or commensurate work experience.
- Experience in assuming leadership of an organization in transition from a founder and/or long-term Executive Director.
- Experience in operating a non-profit organization that does not rely on government funding.
- Spanish/English bilingual skills are desirable along with a knowledge of the culture, needs and resources in the city of Lawrence, MA and surrounding areas.
Compensation and Benefits
- The Executive Director role at Lazarus House Ministries, Inc. is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution and growth of this Gospel-based Ministry. The organization offers a competitive salary and benefits package.