Position Title: ESOL Teacher
Part-time, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday
This is a 12-month contract position. Employment contingent upon funding after the first year.
Reports To: Work Preparation Program Coordinator
Position Summary: The ability to communicate in English is fundamental to the potential success of every guest especially in the work force. The Work Preparation Program provides educational and vocational training services for underserved adults. The Teacher is responsible for all aspects of teaching ESOL classes, utilizing the provided appropriate level curriculum, and working with individuals to further their educational and life goals.
Position Description: Duties include but are not limited to:
• Assist the Education Specialist in the interview and assessment process for individuals that have applied and meet the qualifications of the Work Preparation Program.
• Work with the Program Coordinator during the student selection process to help ensure that individuals chosen for the Program are a proper fit for its structure and training modules so that desired outcomes can be achieved and to also aid in the fulfillment of the Mission of Lazarus House Ministries, Inc.
• Provide ESL instruction, educational support, test-taking and job-readiness skill development to students.
• Assist students in mastering verbal and written skills in English using individual and small group techniques
• Provide a nurturing, supportive, and positive classroom climate that encourages student responsibility, using positive motivation, clear classroom routines, challenging instructional strategies, and effective classroom management techniques
• Foster and sustain an environment of innovation, empowerment, and achievement as part of the Work Preparation team.
• Work in coordination with the Program Coordinator, Employment Specialist, Advocates and Transitional Housing staff to support guests long term as appropriate.
• Attend staff meetings and professional development trainings/workshops as needed.
• Fulfill other position related duties as required.
• Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries
• Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions throughout the Ministry.
• BS degree or equivalent
• 1 – 3 years’ experience in teaching/instructing ESL classes, ideally in adult education setting
• Demonstrated effective ness in lesson planning and student evaluation.
• Flexible, dedicated and caring individual with a passion to assess, mentor and provide encouragement to all trainees, ensuring that all milestones are achieved in a timely manner
• Strong verbal, written and organizational skills; maintain accurate records.
• Team player; able to work as a member of a team and lead a team as needed;
• Computer literate; familiarity with Rosetta Stone and other multimedia tools a real plus
• Bi-lingual capabilities (English – Spanish) a real plus
• Experience working with volunteers a real plus
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. Additional requirements may arise as your employment and needs of the Ministry evolve. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
• Prolonged sitting and/or standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
• Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate equipment pertinent to your area- office, kitchen, warehouse, cleaning, etc.
• Lifting, moving and carrying up to 50 pounds occasionally (This may be 75 pounds or more when employee’s responsibilities include moving furniture and other such items).
• Travel from building to building within the Ministry and/or to external agencies.
• Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with or be exposed to diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have mental illness or other challenges
• Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors and the general public.
• Manage multiple priorities
• Able to manage the stress of the job