Director of Operations
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT
Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus
House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food,
shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to
innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
As a Gospel-based Ministry, Lazarus House promotes respect and dignity for
our Guests, colleagues, and community. Our next Director of Operations will be a person who lives
the teachings of Jesus. We are looking for an organized go-getter, responsible for the management
and efficacy of a considerable number of Lazarus House programs and services. We expect you to
be an experienced and effective leader, a capable strategist, great with follow-through and follow-up,
with a well-developed ability to collaborate to move the Ministry forward. The ideal candidate will
have proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead
and build the capabilities of a bright, diverse team. The Director of Operations will be part of the
- Manage Lazarus House Properties and develop strategies for their best use.
- Oversee the Food Pantry, Soup Kitchen, Information Technology Services and IT Manager.
- Lead the development of our Thrift Stores.
- Direct the work of the logistics and maintenance coordinators.
- Head the Workplace Safety Team.
- Manage contracts and purchase agreements for the Ministry.
- Manage of the “Project Bethlehem” program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be a positive steward of the volunteers, donors, and staff that make the Ministry possible.
- Strengthen the elements of collaboration, mutual respect, and accountability in LHM.
- Encourage professional growth and provide educational opportunities for direct reports.
Analysis and Strategic Planning
- With the Executive Director and the Leadership Team, continually evaluate programs and
services to build on the strengths of Lazarus House and meet the needs of our Guests and
- With the Director of Finance and Executive Director, ensure that the Ministry’s finances are
budgeted and managed for sustainability and strategic growth.
- Strong commitment to the Gospel-based Mission of the Ministry and understand hot that
identity drives our decisions and actions.
- Results-proven track record that displays:
– The ability to consistently make decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom,
experience, and judgment
– The ability to balance the delivery of programs against budget realities
– Problem-solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Experience managing multiple departments.
- Strategic Vision and Agility: Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and
trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Capacity Building: Ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a
top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly.
- Leadership and Organization: Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a
team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to engage with staff both
on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and
empower new generations of leaders, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths
and weaknesses of the team to put people in a position to succeed.
- Be emotionally healthy; have an optimistic outlook on life.
- Action-Oriented: Enjoy working hard and looking for challenges; able to act and react as
necessary; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership
and take unpopular stands when necessary.
- Culturally competent; understanding how culture, diversity, and inclusion inform actions,
decision making, and experience.
- Demonstrate broad experience with strategic development and planning, budgeting,
business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in general or operations management.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Competent and collaborative leader.
- Deep understanding of and sensitivity to the complexities of working with materially poor
people; and of working with the staff who serve them.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. Additional requirements may arise as your employment and needs of the Ministry evolve. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and/or standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate equipment pertinent to your position.
- Lifting, moving and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Travel from building to building within the Ministry and/or to external agencies or events.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with or be exposed to diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have mental illness or other challenges
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors and the general public.
Compensation: Salary (commensurate with experience), health insurance, and vacation benefits.
Send resume and cover letter in English to:
Manager, Human Resources
Lazarus House Ministries
Applications: Accepted until we find the right person