Position Title: Director of Communications
Reports To: Executive Director
Position Summary: This communications position will help to build Lazarus House into a high profile, recognized non-profit while developing and implementing communications strategies to reach wider audiences. The Director of Communications will build the necessary relationships with media outlets, associations, politicians, sponsors and donors and work closely with these contacts to get stories and articles placed, as well as develop opportunities for Lazarus House employees and volunteers to build awareness of Lazarus House. Reporting to the Director of Communications is the Communications Assistant.
The position is an onsite, part-time position ranging in hours from roughly 15 – 20 hours per week. There is some flexibility in schedule.
Position Description: Duties include but are not limited to:
- Overview/edit of any content or printed material that is seen by the general public to ensure that the message and brand are consistent with the Lazarus House guidelines across all channels of communications for Lazarus House.
- Manage all work of Communications Assistant, editing, graphic design, interviewing, assembling stories, and direct any changes and content updates through the Communications Assistant.
- Oversee and manage each department in the ministry to follow the same guidelines and standards in the Communications Policies and Procedures Guidelines and update as needed.
- Experience working with a content management website. Directly input or supervise any content updates or blog posts. Have a basic knowledge of search engine marketing and google analytics.
- Manage the strategy, branding, content and budget the Lazarus House social media sites as well as understanding emerging social networks to promote the Lazarus House story to a wider audience. Oversee the Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram sites.
- Manage write and edit the content and print for any literature, press release or publications that applies to the ministry, ie. newsletters, annual report, annual appeals, general brochure, development appeals, etc.
- Build knowledge and recognition of Lazarus House and issues of poverty through public media outlets, both traditional and online, that target a wide variety of audiences.
- Strong event photography, video editing, graphic design and writing skills.
- Excellent writing, editing, creative and interviewing techniques, as well as blogging with proven ability to inspire interactive engagement with an audience.
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Design Suite and Microsoft Professional Office.
- Create strategies to promote Lazarus House events using social media, direct mail, advertising as well as other channels of communication.
- Attend weekly Development Team meetings.
- Perform other position related duties as required.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions throughout the Ministry.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related interest with a minimum of six years of experience managing a Communications team.
- Candidate should have an understanding, compassion and genuine interest of issues of poverty and homelessness.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Must be self-motivated and willing to work one or more evenings and occasional weekends.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with great attention to detail.
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel & Powerpoint).
- Experience working with WordPress or similar content management website.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality re: both donors and guests is imperative.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. Additional requirements may arise as your employment and needs of the Ministry evolve. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged sitting and/or standing, some bending, stooping and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate equipment pertinent to your area- office, kitchen, warehouse, cleaning, etc.
- Lifting, moving and carrying up to 50 pounds occasionally (This may be 75 pounds or more when employee’s responsibilities include moving furniture and other such items).
- Travel from building to building within the Ministry and/or to external agencies.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with or be exposed to diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have mental illness or other challenges.
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors and the general public.
- Manage multiple priorities.
- Able to manage the stress of the job.