Soup Kitchen Manager
Lazarus House Ministries started 37 years ago with a challenge from Mother Teresa (yes, THAT Mother Teresa) to a Marist Brother to make a difference in Lawrence. In the decades since, Lazarus House has earned a reputation as a trusted faith-based nonprofit in the Merrimack Valley. Food, shelter, work preparation, advocacy and clothing are our core strengths and we are committed to innovating to serve our community’s evolving needs best.
This person reports to the Soup Kitchen Manager and must have experience cooking a variety of foods taking into account nutrition and cultural sensitivity. The idea person is enthusiastic about food preparation and takes pride in their work environment.
- Presents the face of the Ministry to guests, donors, volunteers and staff.
- With the Manager, prepares breakfast and lunches in accordance with Serve-Safe and applicable rules and regulations in amounts sufficient to serve all who come.
- Comply with all safety regulations as outlined.
- Keep up with inventory and report shortages to the Kitchen Manager in a timely manner.
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently.
- Control and minimize waste.
- Must be able to effectively manage meal planning and preparation time.
- Participates in the orderly serving of meals with grace and dignity, greeting guests by name when known.
- Participates in all daily clean-up and sanitization activities including, floors, tables, steam table, food preparation surfaces, utensils, dishes and kitchen equipment in accordance with Serve-Safe and applicable rules and regulations.
- Participates in the routine cleaning of ventilation filters, grease trap, stove ducts, refrigerators and other equipment as needed; documents the cleaning where required.
- Act as Kitchen Lead when staff changes occur.
- Receive goods and supplies and place into inventory storage areas.
- Move supplies from storage areas to kitchen.
- Fulfills other position related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate strong commitment to the mission of Lazarus House Ministries.
- Understanding and support of how the Gospel foundation drives our decisions and actions throughout the Ministry.
- Serve-Safe and Allergen Awareness certifications.
- Prior experience in food service, culinary arts or other related field.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and cooking techniques.
- Physically capable of moving supplies from storage areas to kitchen, lifting and moving full steam table trays and performing other physical activities as needed.
- Courteous, people and team-oriented with excellent inter-personal and communications skills; able to take and follow direction from supervisors and CRS
- Background in working with underserved populations
- Experience working with a variety of cultures and people who are experiencing life challenges
- Able to manage multiple and changing priorities and be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work well in teams.
- Bi-lingual preferred (English – Spanish)
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The information described here includes but is not necessarily limited to general physical requirements, demands and/or working conditions that an employee is likely to encounter at Lazarus House, Inc. You must be able to handle or possess the ability to meet the following:
- Prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to operate equipment pertinent to your position.
- Lifting, moving, and carrying up to 50 pounds.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work with diverse populations, including people who are homeless or have a mental illness or other challenges.
- Interact effectively with staff, guests, volunteers, benefactors, and the general public.
- Able to manage the stress of the job